Under Strategic Goal No#1, the Dialogue on River Basin Management in Vietnam was held by the Vietnam Water Partnership (VNWP) in collaboration with People and Nature Reconciliation (PanNature) on 8th September 2009 in Nui Coc, Thai Nguyen. In attendance were 49 participants representative from the Water Resources Management Department of Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE); the Department of Water Resources of Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD); Institute for Water Resources Planning, Academy for Water Resources of MARD; Vietnam Mekong River Committee; representative from Department of Natural Resources Management (DONRE), Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) of Ho Chinh Minh and Da Nang cities, Bac Ninh, Bac Giang and Thai Nguyen provinces; JICA project on the Study for Water Environment Management on River Basins in Vietnam; professional associations, NGOs and scientists.
The objectives of the Dialogue are:
- To be a platform for related stakeholders to discuss about the experiences and lesson learned from current River Basin Organization (RBO) in Vietnam and Southeast Asia countries;
- To recommend on strengthening RBO in Vietnam context following IWRM approach in basins in order to contribute for implementing new Government Decree No. 120/2008/N?-CP on River Basin Management;
- To heighten VNWP role in IWRM promotion.
Recommendations of the RBO follow by Decree No. 120/2008/N?-CP:
- It is necessary to empower for RBO to manage water resources. RBO need to have enough human and financial resources or have mechanisms for financial attraction to ensure it’s operation smoothly
- RBO should operate as a independent professional agency, complying with the national policies and legal framework. It also has power for technical recommendations which are basic to central and local governments for their decisions.
- RBO should have mechanisms for stakeholder participation in the decision making process related to water resources development and management.
- RBO Standing Office should have technical functions to ensure the water resources governance; objective relationship with local government; professional actions; finance allocated and locate within basin.